(Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links)
5 Pro Tips for Silky, Shiny Hair
Shiny hair often translates to healthier-looking hair as well. Here are 5 tips for achieving this lustrous look courtesy of Madison Reed.
1. Protect from Heat:
Be sure to apply a heat protectant product to your hair before your heat styling or blow drying regimen to protect your hair from increased damage.
2. Banish Build Up:
All of the product we use to protect our hair or achieve a particular style can sometimes stick to the hair shaft and create build up. Performing a deep hair cleanse is a great way to restore shine and remove excess build up. Try using apple cider vinegar with a mixture of water to treat and cleanse your mane. Mix a one-to-one ratio of each and apply the mixture in the shower. Shampoo while the mixture is still on your hair and condition as usual.
3. Chill Out:
Finish a shower or bath with a cup of cold water on your hair. This will help lock down the hair cuticles, making the surface smoother, which reflects more light and offers incredible shine.
Water saving tip: Fill a big cup or pitcher with cold water while waiting for the water to warm up before your shower.
The Cool Shot Button: Use your hairdryer nozzle to direct cool air down the hair shaft. It will smooth out the cuticle and add a nice shine to your hair.
4. Stay Hydrated:
Drink plenty of water! Hydrated hair will shine from the inside out.
5. Condition, Condition, Condition:
Using a deep conditioner or a leave-in conditioner is essential when trying to achieve a shinier, healthier head of hair. Remember, hydrated hair is happy hair.
Hair Tutorial: Side Chignon–The French Bun
Otherwise known as a French bun, a chignon traditionally sits at the nape of the neck. In its loose, messy form it’s great for hiding bad hair days. In its smooth, polished form it’s perfect for a night of theater and fine dining.
Here’s our simple step-by-step tutorial for this versatile style–from the professionals on the Color Crew at Madison Reed!
1. Create a deep side-part, as clean or messy as you like.
2. Gather all hair behind opposite ear from part. Smooth with your favorite brush if desired, or leave messy.
3. Secure into a ponytail with a hair-tie.
4. Separate ponytail into three sections. Take bottom-most section and start twisting.
5. While twisting section, curl around base of ponytail. Secure to base of ponytail with pin.
6. Repeat with two remaining sections twisting into complimentary curls.
7. Pin the two remaining sections into place as you go.
8. Once a completed curled Chignon has been pinned into place, pull out small sections for a romantic feel, or smooth and perfect with a tail comb for a modern, clean result. Spray to hold.
Now is the perfect time to try Madison Reed's healthier for you color! Happy October! Take $10 off your first purchase of Madison Reed hair color - just use the offer code OCTOBERLOVE at checkout.